Suicide in the Trenches

I found a poem that is called “Suicide in the Trenches”. It is about war and the horrible things people have to go through. It discusses how some people can’t deal with these things and end up ending their lives. It reminds people who don’t go to war that war is not a good thing and is very hard for the people who go through it.

The poem is about a young man enjoying life. He was contented and he didn’t have a care in the world. But then the First World War happened and his whole life changed life.  It was very hard for him and he was very miserable because the conditions he had to live in as a soldier were very hard.  Just to make it though the day, he had to drink dirty water and he was eaten alive by lice in the trenches.  The situation was unbearable. He had to hide in the trenches all the time and bombs were going off all around them.  Finally he couldn’t take it anymore and decided to ended his life instead. The last part of the poem has a warning to all people who cheered for the solders return form war. It says that you hope you never have to experience war and how it is like hell is going on all around them.

2 thoughts on “Suicide in the Trenches”

1. Thanks for sharing that with us. I’d say that is one of my favourite poems but I’d also have to say that it is one of the saddest ones that was written. You’re right, it does have a very important message for those who are lucky enough not to go to war. We shouldn’t take our freedom and rights for granted; many people gave their lives and time to make sure we are as comfortable as we are. They also went, so the rest of us don’t have to.